MISS U 2019: A DISASTER

MISS U 2019: A DISASTER

Postby sephie » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:13 am

Unfortunately, after 5 years of reinventing and improving Miss USA/ Miss Universe, MUO faltered this year and made it into a disastrous show

I. Pre Coronation
The strength of this year's batch is that it is unpredictable and no one is sure of who will win. Yes, we do have strong candidates but it is not similar to how Dayana Mendoza, Paulina Vega and Catriona Gray slayed the whole competition since Day 1.
Candidates this year demonstrated a balance of what the new organization is looking for: facially captivating and personality is engaging

The sudden announcement of the venue left other candidates from competing the contest such as Russia, Lebanon, Sri Lanka, etc that would have created more excitement to the contest. This would hopefully be avoided as it is a clear demonstration of poor planning from MUO. However, as the candidates arrived in Atlanta, it became more transparent how each candidate is an upgrade from previous years.

On the other side, I would salute MUO for introducing the 10-day competition (with tight activities), bringing Fadil back and improving the quality of social media. These investments were so good that other competitions can only wish to replicate it

II. Preliminary Competition
Yes, live shows are very hard to predict but if you have been doing the competition for year's, it is hard not to blame the organization for executing a lackluster event.
The weight the preliminary has to a candidates (who has sacrificed a lot) is so much that giving a show similar to what they had was basically unfair.
A short stage undermines the potential creative performance of a candidate (if Catriona competed this year, the impact of her slow-mo walk won't be as strong); all the more make it slippery that would cost accidents

II. The Coronation
This year's coronation night was disappointing because in previous years, I thought they had perfected the formula already
(1) The opening act with the performer was underwhelming. It didn't build any excitement and you are left to wonder who she is
(2) The stage is amazing for me. It looked modern and could be given different perspectives
(3) Steve Harvey- his jokes are too tiring and he can come off as rude. This year, he seemed very disengaged and uninterested with the contest
(4) The segments required too much talking. It really didn't feel like you are knowing about the candidates (unlike the one when they showed Iraq 2017 and Spain 2018). It felt very rehearsed and staged
(5) Swimsuit - good music and good camera angles. they look really tall and slender. I love the capes
(6) Evening Gown- why did we have to bring her back
(7) Final Look (Closing Statement) felt like there was no budget for a big performer so lets just make them talk
(8) Crown looked expensive

sephie
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.

Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2008
Hobbies/Interests: beauty pageants

Return to Miss Universe