Nordic countries NOT COMPETING MW 2019! Thoughts?

Nordic countries NOT COMPETING MW 2019! Thoughts?

Postby Chelsea » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:01 pm

So, Both Finland and Norway have announced that they are not competing this year to Miss World?
Does anyone know any news on Denmark and Sweden? Looks like they haven't chosen anyone yet either.

Honestly I'm not even surprised that countries that have taken part since the beginning are fed up with this pageant.
Last years ridiculous one runner up pageant was a total fiasco. All the delegates just sat at the hotel rehearsing for the final telecast without their phones and hardly had any activities.

Talent, sport, designer, top model (that has NOTHING to do with actual catwalk skills), Unfair beauty with a purpose. All these fast tracks are just total nonsense.
And now the ridiculous head to head challenges! Pageant rules that change year to year, which makes it really hard for training before pageant.

And don't get me wrong, the whole Beauty With A Purpose aspect is REALLY IMPORTANT, but what makes it unfair is that they are being judged by their projects.
Charity should never be a contest that gives you extra points. Charity in itself should be the reward. And how fair is it to European countries?
Some might not like this to be said, but we Europeans are sorry if our countries don't have such problems that Julia Morley thinks is important enough to give you extra points.

We all remember the glory days with Eric Morley. Back then Miss World was a beauty contest with subject matters and meaning. But Julia, god bless her for all the good she does, unfortunately has ruined a pageant that once was magical.

No wonder certain countries are fed up with paying the license fee (that is really high for certain countries that Julia thinks are rich nations) when they have no realistic chances of doing well in this pageant.

It's a sad year if only Iceland takes part from the Nordic countries?

What are you thoughts?

Chelsea
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.

Date of Birth: 06 Dec 1917
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: reporter
Western Zodiac Sign: Leo
Hobbies/Interests: Music

Re: Nordic countries NOT COMPETING MW 2019! Thoughts?

Postby Stoichio » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:16 pm

FACT: BEAUTY with a PURPOSE was made a fast track in order for MWO to have a valid reason of including Indonesia in the semis or quarterfinals every year regardless if the girl beautiful, ordinary or ugly.

Go search for the history of this fast track.

But, all countries should now know that Miss World already has decided which countries to win even before the girls arrive at the venue. Trainings are useless.

One perfect example is the current winner which was declared the next Miss World by Stephanie del Vagena even before Vanessa was crowned Miss Mexico.

Stoichio
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.

Date of Birth: 01 Jan 2011
Sexual Orientation: -----------
Profession: Number 1
Hobbies/Interests: Nature tripping

Postby macwendy » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:37 pm

I think Denmark will send someone. Iceland will. But Sweden will not.

Unless you have a grand beauty with purpose project it is not worth it to go...honestly...
macwendy

Real Life Name/Nick: matt
Date of Birth: 21 Oct 1968
Profession: md
Western Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Hobbies/Interests: movies

Postby FragranceExotica » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:33 pm

Ok, the first basic rule of joining a Beauty pageant is to respect the organization, whichever small or major the thing is. if that goes right, clearly understand what the organization wants from a contestant.
Nowadays competition is getting tougher year after year. Nobody can predict one's placement. Even Venezuela clapped for 5 consecutive years at Miss World. Pageants like Femina Miss India grooms the candidate for several months and they do extensive social work for their BWAP projects, that gets reflected at the finale. I am not whitewashing pageant politics.
Who ever thought Mexico would grab a Miss World crown. But the national organization is doing exemplary job to snatch the crown.

Do you think head to head challenge ridiculous?
A Miss World is a spokesperson, she needs to talk with Presidents and Premiers of several nations. She needs to give interviews at BBC, Fox channels. Head to Head challenge helps the org to understand how strong a candidate can interact socially.
And if you want such things to be avoided, better join Miss Intercontinental, Miss Tourism International or any minor pageants like Miss Globe and super minor ones like "EMGIIII"

Remember, if you want to win Wimbledon, you need to know how to play tennis. For winning Miss World, train and practice the candidates according the pageant. Else dont sent. Simple as that. They already have 105 candidates. and 5 more bw crowned in October which results upto 110. Two or three countries not joining doesnt affect them that much.
So work hard, train and prep hard, things will change.
FragranceExotica

Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2008
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Journalist
Hobbies/Interests: Reading, Pageantry

Postby fortela » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:24 pm

MISS WORLD DOES NOT CLEARLY DEFINE HOW A WINNER IS CHOSEN. A CONTESTANT WHO HAS GARNERED HIGH POINTS DURING IN FASTRACK EVENTS IS BYPASSED BY ANOTHER CONTESTANT WHO HAS ZERO POINTS AND EVEN BECOMES THE WINNER. WHICH LEAVES THE PAGEANT FOLLOWERS TO CONCLUDE A COOKING SHOW
fortela

Real Life Name/Nick: ninen
Profession: paralegal
Western Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Chinese Zodiac: Rat
Hobbies/Interests: beauty pageants

Postby Chelsea » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:40 pm

FragranceExotica wrote:Ok,Do you think head to head challenge ridiculous?
A Miss World is a spokesperson, she needs to talk with Presidents and Premiers of several nations. She needs to give interviews at BBC, Fox channels. Head to Head challenge helps the org to understand how strong a candidate can interact socially.
And if you want such things to be avoided, better join Miss Intercontinental, Miss Tourism International or any minor pageants like Miss Globe and super minor ones like "EMGIIII"

Excuse me? You are saying that there is no other way to determine if a candidate can be a spokeperson than to do a head to head challenge? :%))
A head to head challenge is a nonsense fast track where the same countries do well each year, because they have more fanatic fans to vote. How on earth could a small counry like...let's say... Luxemburg ever win a head to head challenge, even IF she was the best spokeperson of the group, when she is put up against countries that have 156 million more fanatic fans voting.

Head to head challenge has NOTHING to do with being the best spoke person, it's about coming from a country who has the biggest fanbase to vote.
Now, if this fast track would actually be judged by a panel of judges then it would have some sense. Now, it's just another way to get certain countries to get extra points.

Remember, if you want to win Wimbledon, you need to know how to play tennis. For winning Miss World, train and practice the candidates according the pageant. Else dont sent. Simple as that. They already have 105 candidates. and 5 more bw crowned in October which results upto 110. Two or three countries not joining doesnt affect them that much.

Doesn't matter how hard you practise, western countries can never make the same kind of BWAP-project than the countries from other continents. Just do your research and you will see how many times has a European made the top10 in BWAP. Yeah, not that often...

And no one is saying that two or three countries not joining in would affect them one way or another.
But in this case, we are actually talking about countries that have a loooooong history with this pageant. Countries that have sent a candidate every year since the beginning.
Pretty interesting that said countries now decide to give up on this pageant at the same time.
Chelsea

Postby FragranceExotica » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:04 pm

Chelsea wrote:
FragranceExotica wrote:Ok,Do you think head to head challenge ridiculous?

Excuse me? You are saying that there is no other way to determine if a candidate can be a spokeperson than to do a head to head challenge? :%))
A head to head challenge is a nonsense fast track where the same countries do well each year, because they have more fanatic fans to vote. How on earth could a small counry like...let's say... Luxemburg ever win a head to head challenge, even IF she was the best spokeperson of the group, when she is put up against countries that have 156 million more fanatic fans voting.

Head to head challenge has NOTHING to do with being the best spoke person, it's about coming from a country who has the biggest fanbase to vote.
Now, if this fast track would actually be judged by a panel of judges then it would have some sense. Now, it's just another way to get certain countries to get extra points.

Doesn't matter how hard you practise, western countries can never make the same kind of BWAP-project than the countries from other continents. Just do your research and you will see how many times has a European made the top10 in BWAP. Yeah, not that often...

And no one is saying that two or three countries not joining in would affect them one way or another.
But in this case, we are actually talking about countries that have a loooooong history with this pageant. Countries that have sent a candidate every year since the beginning.
Pretty interesting that said countries now decide to give up on this pageant at the same time.

can't you comprehend what I said? Where did I say head to head challenge is the only way to decide a spokesperson. Lol. :%))
The thing is reps from western countries are very lazy to do groundwork on pageants. It's not always fanfare and voting.if that was the case Thailand would have won miss world year after year. The thing is you guys are either too lazy to change your way of approaching pageants in general or too ignorant about the system to which you sent your candidates. Come out of your shell, open your eyes to grow and learn. However as I said, there is politics in pageantry but it doesn't work always.
FragranceExotica

Hobbies/Interests: Reading, Pageantry

Postby Chelsea » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:14 pm

FragranceExotica wrote:can't you comprehend what I said? Where did I say head to head challenge is the only way to decide a spokesperson. Lol. :%))
The thing is reps from western countries are very lazy to do groundwork on pageants. It's not always fanfare and voting.if that was the case Thailand would have won miss world year after year. The thing is you guys are either too lazy to change your way of approaching pageants in general or too ignorant about the system to which you sent your candidates. Come out of your shell, open your eyes to grow and learn. However as I said, there is politics in pageantry but it doesn't work always.

Yes, I can comprehend very well.

You on the other hand have a very arrogant way of thinking you know how hard Europeans train. You don't know how hard they have work, how many months they have put into understanding the pageant. You just assume that they are lazy. Arrogant and incorrect.
´
The thing is, no one can understand this pageant anymore cause Mrs. Morley keeps chancing it's rules and schedule every year.
Let's pic a winner this way, no this way, let's change it again. One from each continent, no televote, no my Miss World friends, no this way, that way.
Let's just face it, Mama Julia picks the winner and then changes the rules each year so that her choice wins and it seems legit. When we all know it's not.
Chelsea

Postby bcdf1930 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:54 pm

FragranceExotica wrote:Ok, the first basic rule of joining a Beauty pageant is to respect the organization, whichever small or major the thing is. if that goes right, clearly understand what the organization wants from a contestant.
Nowadays competition is getting tougher year after year. Nobody can predict one's placement. Even Venezuela clapped for 5 consecutive years at Miss World. Pageants like Femina Miss India grooms the candidate for several months and they do extensive social work for their BWAP projects, that gets reflected at the finale. I am not whitewashing pageant politics.
Who ever thought Mexico would grab a Miss World crown. But the national organization is doing exemplary job to snatch the crown.

Do you think head to head challenge ridiculous?

WELL SAID =D> =D> =D>
bcdf1930
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.

Real Life Name/Nick: Anonymous:)
Date of Birth: 20 Nov 1984
Sexual Orientation: Gay
Profession: IT professional
Western Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Hobbies/Interests: Reading books, browsing Internet

Postby Jon A » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:22 am

That's not it at all,
First of all, BWP is an optional event and it no longer counts towards your placement in the finale (like the other FTs) unless you win it. Because of exactly the reasons you mention, they have eliminated the Challenge system they used for some years.

And it is not as though the European countries have no problems or no socially relevant issues! Hello! Look at trafficking! Refugee resettlement! Animal shelters? Or are you saying that there is no domestic abuse? No prisons? No special needs children? [Is there something unique about Scandinavian air that normal genetic issues or cancer for children are absent?] No old age homes? Ukraine had a lovely project last year for GIFTED CHILDREN. Belgium has had a long standing program for years in Cambodia. Hello...just take a boat to the European mainland...it's not like the Scandinavian countries are so enormous that one can't travel. So I don't but BWP as something only "poor" countries need to address. The point is that MWO wants a winner who is aware of and connected to her community.

Sweden has no franchise. I don't know what is happening with Norway.

Finland will actually, for the reasons you mention be conducting a separate MW Finland pageant in the spring to give the winner enough time to prepare for the various different fast tracks so they can be more competitive. I get your point in a way but try to see that MW is actually more progressive - they are trying to say that one has to look beyond the obvious. The point of the FTs is that beauty can be expressed in many different ways, and the FTs give them a chance to do that. But they are not required to be successful. Stephanie Del Valle eg did nothing in the FTs. I don't think she even placed in the top 10 of any.

I think the basic point is that MW is trying to find someone who is truly exceptional from the inside out. Not just someone who has a good catwalk for 30 seconds our a good body (which incidentally no Miss Universe winner has ever had to display ever again, so how that is relevant to anything I don't know).
Jon A

Date of Birth: 19 Jan 1973
Profession: consultant
Hobbies/Interests: Reading, Travelling, Pageants

Postby Jon A » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:24 am

And finally, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Iceland have all placed more recently at MW than Miss Universe. And Denmark has a Mr World.
Jon A

Postby prowazekii » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:09 am

pity its only walking distance to london, perhaps via boat @-)
anyways those countries dont have interests in these beauty contests nowadays... dont ask dont care..
i think of Miss Universe who is the most beautiful, most femininely graceful, most charming, delightful and sweet...
prowazekii

Real Life Name/Nick: Ron Weasley Fr. Hogwarts
Profession: Physician
Hobbies/Interests: The OLympic Games,Miss Universe,HP and Haus MD
Message: " hard work and perseverance outlast sheer luck and talent"

Postby Kelly_Priestly » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:24 am

The thread starter should have done some basic research before writing this ridiculous post. Today every pageant is structured differently, Miss World also announced their finale date months ago; not complying and sending a delegate on time speaks about your national director and not MWO. Miss World is one of the few pageants that truly has a lot of cultural and competitive activities. If you think Pageants are limited only to swimsuits and catwalks, then you must certainly come out of your medieval mentality.
Kelly_Priestly
AMBASSADORS represent their country.

Real Life Name/Nick: Kelly
Date of Birth: 19 Nov 1979
Profession: Singer / English Teacher
Western Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Hobbies/Interests: Singing & Eating Good Food
Message: I don't find thin girls attractive. I'd rather have lunch with my friends than go to a gym.

Postby hauteegirl » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:41 am

MW has decoy judges

MW2016 winner was nowhere in any fast tracks

All gown sponsors placed in Top 5 except China but China was the winner in Top Model, along with the other 3 sponsors Indonesia & Kenya in Top 5 Top Model

The real international models didn't place but they rather chose Indonesia... bwahahhaa :%))

#corrupt
hauteegirl
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.

Real Life Name/Nick: Queen
Date of Birth: 14 Jan 2008
Profession: beauty queen
Hobbies/Interests: exotic plants hobbyist

Postby zoondwaine » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:24 am

I don't understand how a Miss World judge or how they pick their winners. They just stand in the stage and that's it. Their question is always thesame through the years.
zoondwaine

Real Life Name/Nick: zoondwaine
Date of Birth: 07 Jun 1990
Profession: Manager
Western Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Reading, traveling, culturl immersion, nature trek
Message: I learned misso in 2010 and after that I'm hook to this site in regards to pageant issues.

Postby Chelsea » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:11 am

Jon A wrote:That's not it at all,
First of all, BWP is an optional event and it no longer counts towards your placement in the finale (like the other FTs) unless you win it. Because of exactly the reasons you mention, they have eliminated the Challenge system they used for some years.

That is not true. Just last year for example the top5 BWAP-challenge winners became quarter-finalists!
And BWAP is not optional, Talent is. BWAP is required every year by the organisation. Just think about what kind of picture a delegate would give of themselves if they would not have a project!
She would have NO CHANCE to to do well in the pageant.

And it is not as though the European countries have no problems or no socially relevant issues! Hello! Look at trafficking! Refugee resettlement! Animal shelters? Or are you saying that there is no domestic abuse? No prisons? No special needs children? [Is there something unique about Scandinavian air that normal genetic issues or cancer for children are absent?] No old age homes? Ukraine had a lovely project last year for GIFTED CHILDREN. Belgium has had a long standing program for years in Cambodia. Hello...just take a boat to the European mainland...it's not like the Scandinavian countries are so enormous that one can't travel. So I don't but BWP as something only "poor" countries need to address. The point is that MWO wants a winner who is aware of and connected to her community.

I never said that Europeans don't have no problems. I just said that they don't compare when being judged by projects of other continents.
Just go check, there where amazing projects last year from European countries and only three made it to the top25.
Now if you think about the number of delegates Europe sends each year that is a really low number.

And this happens every year.

Finland will actually, for the reasons you mention be conducting a separate MW Finland pageant in the spring to give the winner enough time to prepare for the various different fast tracks so they can be more competitive. I get your point in a way but try to see that MW is actually more progressive - they are trying to say that one has to look beyond the obvious. The point of the FTs is that beauty can be expressed in many different ways, and the FTs give them a chance to do that. But they are not required to be successful. Stephanie Del Valle eg did nothing in the FTs. I don't think she even placed in the top 10 of any.

And you know this by how? First I've heard of it...
But in any case, it is not because of the reasons I meantion above. If this is true, then it is because Miss Finland organisation has stepped down.
So of course anyone in Finland can get the license NOW if they want to. It would have been impossible to do so earlier since Miss Finland organisation has had the license forever and I bet that is something Miss World organisation has honoured, Finland's and it's organisations loyalty to the pageant. And actually Miss Finland pageant will move back to spring next year, so there would have been plenty of time to prepare to Miss World, but it's clear that Finland organisation don't want to anymore.

I have much respect for what Julia is doing with the BWAP-project in itself. But the way it's added to the pageant and all the FT's is just not making a exciting pageant anymore when the ladies are just sitting at the hotel practising to final telecast. So I'm not surprised that slowly countries (with looooong history to the pageant) are getting fed up. This means that the franchise license will be left with unknow people who probably will send a delegate one year, then back out the next year. Then someone else get's the license and then it just goes round and round.
Last edited by Chelsea on Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chelsea

Postby Chelsea » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:25 am

Kelly_Priestly wrote:The thread starter should have done some basic research before writing this ridiculous post. Today every pageant is structured differently, Miss World also announced their finale date months ago; not complying and sending a delegate on time speaks about your national director and not MWO. Miss World is one of the few pageants that truly has a lot of cultural and competitive activities. If you think Pageants are limited only to swimsuits and catwalks, then you must certainly come out of your medieval mentality.

Bit in bold

Where did I say this? Don't make assumptions and assume that this is what I think a beauty pageatns should be. Thank you very much.
I just want a fair pageant with activities, not a pageant who asks high amount sums for a license fee and then all the delegates do is sit for days straight in tracksuits at a conference room training for the final telecast show.

And as for the rest of your post:
You really don't know with whom you are talking to right now. I know my Miss World inside out. I know what they are looking for and require delegates to do each year. The thing is, that happens to be different every year. And also, the way they send info to countries varies based on what country you are. Certain countries get basic info and delegate information papers even before they have selected the national winner. Some countries have to wait until few weeks before the delegate is supposed to leave for the pageant befofe they receive any info.

Now does that sound fair?
Chelsea

Postby the critic » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:42 pm

Chelsea wrote:
Kelly_Priestly wrote:The thread starter should have done some basic research before writing this ridiculous post. Today every pageant is structured differently, Miss World also announced their finale date months ago; not complying and sending a delegate on time speaks about your national director and not MWO. Miss World is one of the few pageants that truly has a lot of cultural and competitive activities. If you think Pageants are limited only to swimsuits and catwalks, then you must certainly come out of your medieval mentality.

Bit in bold

Where did I say this? Don't make assumptions and assume that this is what I think a beauty pageatns should be. Thank you very much.
I just want a fair pageant with activities, not a pageant who asks high amount sums for a license fee and then all the delegates do is sit for days straight in tracksuits at a conference room training for the final telecast show.

And as for the rest of your post:
You really don't know with whom you are talking to right now. I know my Miss World inside out. I know what they are looking for and require delegates to do each year. The thing is, that happens to be different every year. And also, the way they send info to countries varies based on what country you are. Certain countries get basic info and delegate information papers even before they have selected the national winner. Some countries have to wait until few weeks before the delegate is supposed to leave for the pageant befofe they receive any info.

Now does that sound fair?

I'VE NEVER SEEN A MISS WORLD EDITION WHERE THE GIRLS ONLY REHEARSE FOR THE FINALS. THAT'S GROSS EXAGGERATION TO SELL YOUR POINT. INFACT THEY DO MANY ACTIVITIES AND TRAVELS IN THE HOST NATION AND COMPETE IN THE FAST TRACTS AND DO INTERVIEWS.

INSTEAD OF BEMOANING HOW GIRLS ARE REWARDED FOR DOING EXTRAORDINARY CHARITY WORK (WHICH IS THE FOCUS OF MW) ORGANIZATIONS LIKE FINLAND NEED TO GET CREATIVE. SURE YOUR QUEEN WON'T BUILD A BRIDGES LIKE A MISS INDONESIA, BRING WATER OR ELECTRICITY TO A WHOLE VILLAGE LIKE MISS VIETNAM OR TREAT LEPROSY LIKE MISS BRAZIL BUT WE HAVE SEEN COUNTRIES WIN WITH PROJECTS ABOUT DOMESTIC VIOLENCE LIKE GUYANA IN 2014.

MWO SHOULDN'T STOP REWARDING GIRLS LIKE THOSE BECAUSE YOU FEEL YOUR COUNTRY DOESN'T HAVE MANY ISSUES TO CHOOSE FROM OR YOUR COUNTRY'S ORGANIZATION FEELS INSECURE ABOUT THEIR CHANCES.

EVEN SO NOT PLACING HIGHLY IN BWAP DOESN'T DISQUALIFY A CONTESTANT FROM THE CROWN. ITS ENOUGH JUST TO PUT OUT THE EFFORT AND PRESENT ONE.
the critic

Date of Birth: 26 Jul 1985
Hobbies/Interests: Beauty, fashion photography

Postby Jon A » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:04 pm

Chelsea wrote:
Jon A wrote:That's not it at all,

That is not true. Just last year for example the top5 BWAP-challenge winners became quarter-finalists!
And BWAP is not optional, Talent is. BWAP is required every year by the organisation. Just think about what kind of picture a delegate would give of themselves if they would not have a project!
She would have NO CHANCE to to do well in the pageant.

See it's not that their BWAP directly led them to be QF - but it is certainly possible that it contributed to the impression they created as candidates. Typically candidates who do a lot of work that is socially oriented will have something relevant to say in interviews etc.
BWAP - like any of the FTs - is optional now. I get your point, and while for sure MWO strongly encourages it, it is not compulsory. In fact, many girls are chosen at the last minute and they don't have any BWP at all. And to be fair, the BWP can also be an institutional project - done by the national franchise and the titleholder can be a face of it. That counts as well - it is in fact the approach of many successful countries at MW.

And look at cases like Mireia Lalaguna and Stephanie del Valle - they didn't really have strong BWPs! Nor did for example, Valerie About-Chacra - who was crowned only two weeks before the contest - all she had was a story and passion to do something with her title. In fact, many of the girls who have done well in BWP don't even place in the end. So yes, there is correlation but not causality. A successful BWP can be about anything - it can be about helping farmers, women entrepreneurs, after school care....whatever. It is not the topic, it is what one does with it! For example, in 2012 India won BWP for her work developing an innovative curriculum to teach mathematics! And New Zealand was Morley's favorite BWP project (although she didn't win, I think) for making an app that allowed remote learning. England in 2017 was a horse rider so she had a project that took autistic children horse riding. These are completely within the ambit of anyone and they are all well appreciated!
Now if a girl is not interested in this kind of work, that is understandable and her choice and you are right, she will likely not progress far at MW. But she could still win Top Model or H2H if that is her thing!
Jon A

Postby Jon A » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:08 pm

Chelsea wrote:[Finland will actually, for the reasons you mention be conducting a separate MW Finland pageant in the spring to give the winner enough time to prepare for the various different fast tracks so they can be more competitive. I get your point in a way but try to see that MW is actually more progressive - they are trying to say that one has to look beyond the obvious. The point of the FTs is that beauty can be expressed in many different ways, and the FTs give them a chance to do that. But they are not required to be successful. Stephanie Del Valle eg did nothing in the FTs. I don't think she even placed in the top 10 of any.

And you know this by how? First I've heard of it...
But in any case, it is not because of the reasons I meantion above. If this is true, then it is because Miss Finland organisation has stepped down.
So of course anyone in Finland can get the license NOW if they want to. It would have been impossible to do so earlier since Miss Finland organisation has had the license forever and I bet that is something Miss World organisation has honoured, Finland's and it's organisations loyalty to the pageant. And actually Miss Finland pageant will move back to spring next year, so there would have been plenty of time to prepare to Miss World, but it's clear that Finland organisation don't want to anymore.

I have much respect for what Julia is doing with the BWAP-project in itself. But the way it's added to the pageant and all the FT's is just not making a exciting pageant anymore when the ladies are just sitting at the hotel practising to final telecast. So I'm not surprised that slowly countries (with looooong history to the pageant) are getting fed up. This means that the franchise license will be left with unknow people who probably will send a delegate one year, then back out the next year. Then someone else get's the license and then it just goes round and round.

It was in a news article in a Finnish paper where the organizer discussed why they were not sending anyone to Miss World. As far as I could make out, the MW franchise continues to be held by Miss Suomi Org and they will conduct the MW national preliminary still. It sounds therefore like two contests will be held but let us see if that is at all possible in the long run because they have tried this before and failed. I do agree that the overall economics of pageants and the low level of interest in Northern European countries makes this challenging, In fact, I feel that the best strategy is to have a combined Miss Scandinavia pageant to elect the reps for all three countries (ok, actually more than Scandinavia, it should be Norway Sweden Finland, since Denmark has a strong franchise already)....like Czech Universe and Slovak Universe have done recently. It just makes sense given that these are small countries.
Jon A

Postby Chelsea » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:26 pm

Jon A wrote:It was in a news article in a Finnish paper where the organizer discussed why they were not sending anyone to Miss World. As far as I could make out, the MW franchise continues to be held by Miss Suomi Org and they will conduct the MW national preliminary still. It sounds therefore like two contests will be held but let us see if that is at all possible in the long run because they have tried this before and failed. I do agree that the overall economics of pageants and the low level of interest in Northern European countries makes this challenging, In fact, I feel that the best strategy is to have a combined Miss Scandinavia pageant to elect the reps for all three countries (ok, actually more than Scandinavia, it should be Norway Sweden Finland, since Denmark has a strong franchise already)....like Czech Universe and Slovak Universe have done recently. It just makes sense given that these are small countries.

Okey, well then someone has translated that article to you a incorrectly. Cause the organizer has never said that.
She said in that article that Finland has decided to pass on this years Miss World and is looking for a new international pageant into which the second runner up could be sent hopefully in springtime.

She never said anything about creating a seperate pageant to find Miss World Finland.

And Miss Finland has only been held three years now during fall. And the short preparation time is too little of a time so that is why they are planning to move the pageant back to spring.
Last edited by Chelsea on Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chelsea

Postby Chelsea » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:33 pm

the critic wrote:I'VE NEVER SEEN A MISS WORLD EDITION WHERE THE GIRLS ONLY REHEARSE FOR THE FINALS. THAT'S GROSS EXAGGERATION TO SELL YOUR POINT. INFACT THEY DO MANY ACTIVITIES AND TRAVELS IN THE HOST NATION AND COMPETE IN THE FAST TRACTS AND DO INTERVIEWS.

Okey, maybe I was a bit unfair in saying that ALL THEY DO is rehears.

But it sounds like you didn't even follow the 2016 and 2018 editions. Where did they travel? Besides going to see a theatre in New York in 2016.
Many activities? I don't think so.

MWO SHOULDN'T STOP REWARDING GIRLS LIKE THOSE BECAUSE YOU FEEL YOUR COUNTRY DOESN'T HAVE MANY ISSUES TO CHOOSE FROM OR YOUR COUNTRY'S ORGANIZATION FEELS INSECURE ABOUT THEIR CHANCES.

Point remains charity should not be a contest.
Every charityproject should be praised, cause I'm sure each delegate will put their heart and soul to their projects for a good cause.
Chelsea

Postby Jon A » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:08 pm

Chelsea wrote:
Jon A wrote:It was in a news article in a Finnish paper where the organizer discussed why they were not sending anyone to Miss World. As far as I could make out, the MW franchise continues to be held by Miss Suomi Org and they will conduct the MW national preliminary still. It sounds therefore like two contests will be held but let us see if that is at all possible in the long run because they have tried this before and failed. I do agree that the overall economics of pageants and the low level of interest in Northern European countries makes this challenging, In fact, I feel that the best strategy is to have a combined Miss Scandinavia pageant to elect the reps for all three countries (ok, actually more than Scandinavia, it should be Norway Sweden Finland, since Denmark has a strong franchise already)....like Czech Universe and Slovak Universe have done recently. It just makes sense given that these are small countries.

Okey, well then someone has translated that article to you a incorrectly. Cause the organizer has never said that.
She said in that article that Finland has decided to pass on this years Miss World and is looking for a new international pageant into which the second runner up could be sent hopefully in springtime.

She never said anything about creating a seperate pageant to find Miss World Finland.

And Miss Finland has only been held three years now during fall. And the short preparation time is too little of a time so that is why they are planning to move the pageant back to spring.

I used Google translate and confirmed with a Finnish friend who is well connected to pageants in Finland.
The point about the 2 RU is that because she will not go to MW, she will go to some other pageant which they are looking for - and she specifically wants to go to one in Asia.

But the fact was very clear that to give the girl adequate time to prepare for MW, they will skip this year and hold a separate pageant in the spring to select someone for MW
Jon A

Postby the critic » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:57 pm

Chelsea wrote:
the critic wrote:I'VE NEVER SEEN A MISS WORLD EDITION WHERE THE GIRLS ONLY REHEARSE FOR THE FINALS. THAT'S GROSS EXAGGERATION TO SELL YOUR POINT. INFACT THEY DO MANY ACTIVITIES AND TRAVELS IN THE HOST NATION AND COMPETE IN THE FAST TRACTS AND DO INTERVIEWS.

Okey, maybe I was a bit unfair in saying that ALL THEY DO is rehears.

But it sounds like you didn't even follow the 2016 and 2018 editions. Where did they travel? Besides going to see a theatre in New York in 2016.
Many activities? I don't think so.

Point remains charity should not be a contest.
Every charityproject should be praised, cause I'm sure each delegate will put their heart and soul to their projects for a good cause.

ITS FAIR TO EXPECT THAT SOME EDITIONS WILL HAVE MORE TO OFFER BASED ON HOST CITY. THATS WHY THE PAGEANT IS USUALLY SHORTER WHEN HOSTED IN SUCH PLACES LIKE DC OR EVEN LONDON. IT HAPPENS RIGHT ACROSS THE BOARD FOR EVERY MAJOR PAGEANT. SOME PLACES WILL OFFER LESS BASED ON SPONSORSHIP AND INTEREST/ENTHUSIASM.

REGARDING CHARITY SHOULD NOT BE A CONTEST...
SOME WILL ARGUE THAT PHYSICAL BEAUTY SHOULD NOT BE A CONTEST BECAUSE EVERY WOMAN IS BEAUTIFUL IN HER OWN RIGHT AND DESERVES TO BE APPRECIATED.
SOME WILL SAY TALENTS SHOULD NOT BE JUDGED BECAUSE YOU CAN'T COMPARE A DANCER WITH A SINGER.
AND SOME WILL SAY PERSONALITY SHOULD NOT BE A CONTEST BECAUSE EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT IN THAT SENSE.

SOME WILL SAY ITS UNFAIR TO JUDGE INTERVIEWS BECAUSE SOME GIRLS EXPRESS THEMSELVES BETTER IN ENGLISH AND TRANSLATORS DON'T ALWAYS SHARE THE ESSENCE OF THEIR ANSWERS.

IF WE DO THAT WE GO DOWN THE ROAD OF PICKING AWAY AT EVERYTHING THAT MAKES PAGEANTS WHAT THEY ARE. PERHAPS IF SOME CONTESTANTS/ NATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS DIDN'T SEE BWP AS A WAY TO MAKING IT IN MW THE IMPACT IT MAKES IN THE LIVES OF SO MANY WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ACHIEVED. SO WHY NOT MAKE IT A CONTEST? IF ITS HAVING A GREAT IMPACT...ITS SERVING A PURPOSE.
the critic

Date of Birth: 26 Jul 1985
Hobbies/Interests: Beauty, fashion photography

Postby Chelsea » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:28 am

Jon A wrote:I used Google translate and confirmed with a Finnish friend who is well connected to pageants in Finland.
The point about the 2 RU is that because she will not go to MW, she will go to some other pageant which they are looking for - and she specifically wants to go to one in Asia.

But the fact was very clear that to give the girl adequate time to prepare for MW, they will skip this year and hold a separate pageant in the spring to select someone for MW

We all know that google translate is not the most accurate translator. 8-}

https://www.iltalehti.fi/viihdeuutiset/ ... 94a5eaaf31
If THIS is the article you are referring to, then as a finn, who speaks finnish fluently (LOL) I can ASSURE you that in no part of this article does it say that the Miss Finland organisation is going to hold a Miss Finland World pageant next spring. Sunneva Kantola only confirms that we are skipping this year, and there is hopes to find some other pageant for the 2nd ru

And also side note, I happen to know FOR A FACT that there is no plans to held a Miss World Finland pageant, not by the Miss Finland organisation anyways.

If some modelling agency or other buys the MW license then they can do whatever. But Miss Finland organisation is not doing that.
Chelsea

Postby venice » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:55 am

Beauty queens from Nordic countries are some of the most uninteresting from Europe. Swedish beauties are the only saving grace from the region. Iceland offers up a suprise at Miss World sometimes.

Finland hasn't placed at Miss World since 2014 and they haven't placed at Miss Universe in over a generation. Where Miss World is concerned they won't be missed because Europe always has huge contingent. France and Russia are the only countries that have any real impact on pageants on the continent. The countries of the United Kingdom also matter for Miss World.
[youtube]mXrWiJcmvBI[/youtube]
venice
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.

Profession: Dance Instructer
Hobbies/Interests: Dancing, costume design, make up

Postby missfinlandia » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:26 am

Chelsea wrote:
Jon A wrote:I used Google translate and confirmed with a Finnish friend who is well connected to pageants in Finland.

We all know that google translate is not the most accurate translator. 8-}

https://www.iltalehti.fi/viihdeuutiset/ ... 94a5eaaf31
If THIS is the article you are referring to, then as a finn, who speaks finnish fluently (LOL) I can ASSURE you that in no part of this article does it say that the Miss Finland organisation is going to hold a Miss Finland World pageant next spring. Sunneva Kantola only confirms that we are skipping this year, and there is hopes to find some other pageant for the 2nd ru

And also side note, I happen to know FOR A FACT that there is no plans to held a Miss World Finland pageant, not by the Miss Finland organisation anyways.

If some modelling agency or other buys the MW license then they can do whatever. But Miss Finland organisation is not doing that.

Yes as a fluent Finnish speaker I can confirm too that Miss Suomi Organization will not hold a separate pageant for MW. Nothing like that is mentioned in the article so there must have been a mistranslation. So no Miss World for Finland this year and I doubt the next year too, director Sunneva Kantola speaks about MW in so negative tone.

So unless they sell the license to some other organization Finland could be absent from MW in upcoming years.
missfinlandia

Real Life Name/Nick: MissSuomi
Date of Birth: 29 Nov 1913
Profession: This and that
Western Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Hobbies/Interests: Shopping

Postby Chelsea » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:33 am

venice wrote:Beauty queens from Nordic countries are some of the most uninteresting from Europe. Swedish beauties are the only saving grace from the region. Iceland offers up a suprise at Miss World sometimes.

Finland hasn't placed at Miss World since 2014 and they haven't placed at Miss Universe in over a generation. Where Miss World is concerned they won't be missed because Europe always has huge contingent. France and Russia are the only countries that have any real impact on pageants on the continent. The countries of the United Kingdom also matter for Miss World.

When countries like Sweden, Norway, Finland and now maybe Denmark are stepping out of this pageant you can bet that Julia Morley and the whole Miss World team is in panic mode.
We are talking about countries that have a long history in this pageant. We have taken part from the start. Finland has not skipped one single year of this pageant since we first started participating. It's not about how well nordic countries have done, it's about continuity, coutries who don't just skip one year, be back the next and then again skip one year.

Miss World organisation has been able to count on these countries for license fees and just being there. We all know how Julia wants to keep this pageant the biggest in terms of participating countries. And now more and more countries from Europe are dropping out, countries that MW organisation has used to count on for being there. So yes, the are panicking, cause this effects the whole pageant. If more and more drop out, pretty soon the number is back under 100 and Julia does not want that.

The issue is NOT what countries you think is uninteresting and who YOU won't miss. It's about the whole pageant, not what certain pageant fans think of it.

Even as we speak I happen to know MW organisation is doing everything in their power to get these european countries back on the pageant.
Chelsea

Postby jalzamani » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:13 pm

Chelsea wrote:
venice wrote:Beauty queens from Nordic countries are some of the most uninteresting from Europe. Swedish beauties are the only saving grace from the region. Iceland offers up a suprise at Miss World sometimes.

When countries like Sweden, Norway, Finland and now maybe Denmark are stepping out of this pageant you can bet that Julia Morley and the whole Miss World team is in panic mode.
We are talking about countries that have a long history in this pageant. We have taken part from the start. Finland has not skipped one single year of this pageant since we first started participating. It's not about how well nordic countries have done, it's about continuity, coutries who don't just skip one year, be back the next and then again skip one year.

Miss World organisation has been able to count on these countries for license fees and just being there. We all know how Julia wants to keep this pageant the biggest in terms of participating countries. And now more and more countries from Europe are dropping out, countries that MW organisation has used to count on for being there. So yes, the are panicking, cause this effects the whole pageant. If more and more drop out, pretty soon the number is back under 100 and Julia does not want that.

The issue is NOT what countries you think is uninteresting and who YOU won't miss. It's about the whole pageant, not what certain pageant fans think of it.

Even as we speak I happen to know MW organisation is doing everything in their power to get these european countries back on the pageant.

Almost 110 countries are participating in Miss World and 7 more countries are gonna announce their candidates soon. Why Julia should be panic about a few non so well performing countries threatening to quit because of bitterness. Bye bye. Lol
Big 5

MISS UNIVERSE - MISS WORLD - MISS SUPRANATIONAL - Miss Gwand INTERNATIONAL
jalzamani

Profession: Model
Hobbies/Interests: Surfing Net

Postby Chelsea » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:46 pm

jalzamani wrote:Almost 110 countries are participating in Miss World and 7 more countries are gonna announce their candidates soon. Why Julia should be panic about a few non so well performing countries threatening to quit because of bitterness. Bye bye. Lol

God I just love this board sometimes when people just don't get :%))

Like I said, it's NOT about how WELL these countries do. It's about the license fee and keeping MW pageants number of delegates highest of them all.
The license fee is really high with Nordic countries and you bet Mrs. Morley would want to keep us around. In comparision with some poor countries that don't have a license fee at all.
So which ones do you think they want to keep around? Yeah,

But you guys keep on living in your own "I come from a country that does well, so I can ignore you not so succesfull countries" world where you think that not so well performing countries with long and loyal ties to MW organisation are not missed. Keep thinking that, makes no difference to me. :-@
Chelsea

Next

Return to Miss World