Miss World 2018 - Caribbean

Miss World 2018 - Caribbean

Postby missheart » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:44 pm

Aruba
Nurianne Arias is from Oranjestad and is 23 years old. Arias stands at 165 cm tall. She is a Health Advocate and Research Assitant at the University of Aruba. She has a Master degree in Public Administration from the University of Twente in the Netherlands.

Bahamas
Brinique Gibson is 22 years old and Miss Bahamas 2018. She currently lives in Nassau, New Providence. She is a student of St. Augustine’s College. Brinique is an Entrepreneur and a Model. She is an owner and founder of Cuplicious Bakery. Her favorite color is Teal. Her favorite food is Pizza.

Barbados
Ashley Lashley has crowned Miss Barbados 2018 at the Barbados Concorde Experience in Christ Church on 7th April 2018.Ashley is 18 years old. She has also won Miss Teen Barbados 2015 title previously.

Bonaire
Ruthgainy Frans was crowned Miss Bonaire 2018 at the grand coronation night in Harbour Village, Kralendijk on Friday night of 23rd March 2018. Ruthgainy Frans will represent Bonaire at the Miss World 2018 beauty contest.

British Virgin Islands
Yadali Santos is 21 years old and 5’6″ tall. She knows Spanish and English very well. Yadali has a degree in General Studies and Architecture from the H Lavity Stout Community College. She wants to be an Architect.

Guadeloupe
Morgane Thérésine was crowned Miss World Guadeloupe 2018 amidst a night full of glitz and glamour at Le Gosier. Morgane will now represent Guadeloupe at the Miss World 2018 pageant in Sanya, China. Morgane was crowned by her predecessor Miss Guadeloupe 2017, Audrey Berville. She competed with 14 other contestants to bag the crown. Morgane is fond of dancing and loves athletics. She is not new to the pageant world as she was previously crowned Miss Guadeloupe France 2016 and was the the 3rd runner-up at Miss France 2017.

Guyana
Ambika Ramraj was crowned Miss Guyana 2018 by Vena Mookram at the Pegasus Hotel, Georgetown on grand coronation night of 25th May 2018. Ambika has also won the Top Model title. She was also the winner of the Multimedia Campaign and the best in performance evaluation.Ambika Ramraj will represent Guyana at the world’s most prestigious beauty contest ‘Miss World’ this year.Miss World Guyana 2018 Crowning Moment,Vena Mookram,Ambika RamrajAfter winning Miss World Guyana 2018 crown, Ambika said that I think I feel elated. I don’t know if that’s the right word to describe how I’m feeling right now, but I know I’m happy in this moment, and I’m so grateful that everything I put in paid off.Ambika Ramraj is 19 years old. She studied Science at Queens College, Guyana. She is a Model.

Martinique
Larissa Segarel, a young girl from the beautiful island of Martinique was crowned Miss Territorial Martinique 2017 at the coronation night where her predecessor Miss Territorial Martinique 2016, May-Ly Rebard handed over her crown. Larissa, on the same night, was also appointed as the president of ‘Martinique Tourism and diplomacy’ association along with being the representative of her country at Miss World 2018. The finale night saw the coming together of the most talented and beautiful young women of Martinique to participate in the national pageant and win their representation at the most coveted Miss World pageant. She is 20 years of age and lives in Le Lamentin city. She has completed her education at the University of the West Indies and the University of Guyana. Larissa, described as a positive person, has immense love for her homeland and wishes to represent the colours and culture that her country represents as a blend of French and West Indian influences. The gorgeous queen loves to do photography. Aside from fashion, when she is not busy with her official duties, Larissa likes to go on hikes and explore the beautiful sites of Martinique.

Puerto Rico
THE REPRESENTATIVE of Canóvanas, Dayanara Martínez, is Miss Mundo de Puerto Rico 2018.
The 24-year-old singer, who was named by her parents after Miss Universe 1993 Dayanara Torres, will represent her island nation at the 2018 Miss World pageant.
“I worked hard to achieve the title and thank God that I was given all the opportunities and I could get there,” said Martínez in an interview with El Nuevo Dia.
Martínez holds a biology degree from Syracuse University in New York and a masters in healh programs at the University of Puerto Rico, Medical Sciences Campus in Río Piedras.
Miss Trujillo Alto Mónica Serrano placed first runner-up, while Miss Ponce Yarelis Salgado was second runner-up. A total of 20 beauties competed during the finals held Wednesday, January 17 at the Teatro Raúl Juliá of Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico.
After Stephanie del Valle won the crown in 2016, Puerto Rico skipped the 2017 Miss World pageant. This, after the Miss Mundo Puerto Rico pageant, was postponed twice last year due to the devastation caused by two hurricanes in the country.

Trinidad and Tobago
Ysabel Bisnath - Miss Trinidad and Tobago 2018 has the highest academic background of anyone that ever entered international pageantry.

When you hear of an Oxford-graduated, world-traveled, human rights lawyer, your first thought certainly wouldn’t be a beauty queen. But that’s just one way that the newest Miss Trinidad and Tobago 2018, Ysabel Bisnath, is working to break stereotypes. Ysabel Amara Samnadda Bisnath (born 28 June 1993) is a Trinidadian born award-winning public speaker and Oxford University graduate, practicing attorney. Ysabel won the 2018 edition of Miss Trinidad and Tobago beauty pageant and will represent Trinidad and Tobago at Miss World 2018. She speaks English, Spanish, French and Italian and states that she is an unapologetic feminist whose personal ethos is that women should not have to fit a specific mold designated to them by wider society, regardless of their race, social and economic status. Ysabel obtained a Masters in International Business Law- Trade & Investment also did various courses in Human Rights. She passed the Bar examination both in her native country and England. Bisnath parents are both lawyers and her younger brother is also a Lawyer. Her other interests include playing the piano, reading & diving. The multilingual, Ysabel Bisnath currently works as a lawyer. After returning to Trinidad and Tobago in March 2018, from studying and working abroad, Ysabel Bisnath was elected the head lawyer of the legal team for the Ministry of Education in her country, Trinidad and Tobago. She will be building an orphanage for her BWAP project. Ysabel is the most publicised Miss T&T in history. She is being trained by the Caribbean's most famous Top Model coach, Richard Young from Caribbean's Next Top Model...

Countries remaining to crown their representatives:
Jamaica
Dominican Republic
Antigua and Barbuda
Cayman Islands
Curacao
Dominica
St Kitts and Nevis
St Lucia
St Vincent and The Grenadines
Saint Barthélemy

Proudly SOUTH AFRICAN!
missheart
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.

Real Life Name/Nick: therealguayl
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2008
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: model
Hobbies/Interests: Making the World a better place

Re: Miss World 2018 - Caribbean

Postby pageantcritic33 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:10 am

Miss T&T is bringing back the MW crown to the Caribbean, she has the beauty, brains and compassion that are needed to be a Miss World[color=#0000FF][b][size=150][/b][/size][/color]
pageantcritic33

Date of Birth: 13 Apr 1977
Profession: health
Western Zodiac Sign: Aries
Hobbies/Interests: pageants
Message: Dedicated to getting T&T back on top in the beauty world.

Postby kittles » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:04 am

[quote="pageantcritic33"][font=Courier New][color=#000099][size=150][b]Miss T&T is bringing back the MW crown to the Caribbean, she has the beauty, brains and compassion that are needed to be a Miss World[color=#0000FF][b][size=150][/size][/b][/color][/b][/size][/color][/font][/quote]

yaaaaaas for Ysabel! =D> =D> =D>
kittles
NEWBIES are NEW members.
NEWBIES are NEW members.

Date of Birth: 12 Aug 1997
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: manager
Hobbies/Interests: photography, travel

Postby bettercomegood » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:40 am

[quote="missheart"][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000FF][size=150][b][center]
Guadeloupe
[img]https://beautypageants.indiatimes.com/photo/65131111.cms[/img]
Morgane Thérésine was crowned Miss World Guadeloupe 2018 amidst a night full of glitz and glamour at Le Gosier. Morgane will now represent Guadeloupe at the Miss World 2018 pageant in Sanya, China. Morgane was crowned by her predecessor Miss Guadeloupe 2017, Audrey Berville. She competed with 14 other contestants to bag the crown. Morgane is fond of dancing and loves athletics. She is not new to the pageant world as she was previously crowned Miss Guadeloupe France 2016 and was the the 3rd runner-up at Miss France 2017.

[/center][/b][/size][/color][/font][/quote]

I am living for this Miss Guadeloupe she is so beautiful and amazing!!! If only my country Trinidad & Tobago could crown a woman this beautiful. Instead we got stuck with a pudgy five ft. four midget with a lazy eye who purchased the crown with daddy's money. But she went to Oxford =D>
bettercomegood
NEWBIES are NEW members.
NEWBIES are NEW members.

Real Life Name/Nick: Buddy-Boy
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 1982
Sexual Orientation: Gay
Profession: Lover & Hater
Western Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Chinese Zodiac: Dragon
Hobbies/Interests: Life and Love

Postby chellomellow » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:04 am

Trinidad and Tobago only! She is gorgeous! :hx :hx :hx :hx :hx
─▀██▀▄███▄─ ▀██─██▀██▀▀▀█─
──██─███─███─██─██─██▄█──
──██─▀██▄██▀─▀█▄█▀─██▀█──
─▄██▄▄█▀▀▀─────▀──▄██▄▄▄█

[youtube]1rmr_z5bWgo[/youtube]

TEAM TYA JANE
chellomellow
SUPER STARS are POPULAR or CHARISMATIC posters.

Date of Birth: 16 Dec 2008
Sexual Orientation: -----------
Profession: I am an Angel sent from heaven ❤
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Dancing, Reading, Music, Drawing, Anime, Piano

Postby Kyle McKenny » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:16 am

[quote="bettercomegood"][quote="missheart"][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000FF][size=150][b][center]
Guadeloupe
[img]https://beautypageants.indiatimes.com/photo/65131111.cms[/img]

[/center][/b][/size][/color][/font][/quote]

I am living for this Miss Guadeloupe she is so beautiful and amazing!!! If only my country Trinidad & Tobago could crown a woman this beautiful. Instead we got stuck with a pudgy five ft. four midget with a lazy eye who purchased the crown with daddy's money. But she went to Oxford =D>[/quote]

Which of the other sour girls who didnt win are you posting for i wonder 8->
Kyle McKenny
Dark green members are SEMI-ACTIVE posters.
Dark green members are SEMI-ACTIVE posters.

Real Life Name/Nick: Kyle McKenny
Date of Birth: 24 Jul 1993
Sexual Orientation: Not sure
Profession: Professional
Hobbies/Interests: Pageant, being ah badman, kicks

Postby straydog » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:34 am

Oxford open scholar!!! I'm so proud to be a Trini right now! Go Ysabel!!

I hope our young women look to you for inspiration
straydog

Real Life Name/Nick: Woofhann Sebastian Bark
Date of Birth: 31 Aug 1962
Profession: Caribbean Shepherd
Western Zodiac Sign: Leo
Chinese Zodiac: Dog
Hobbies/Interests: Walkin' those streets, munchin' those boxes
Message: Long time reader. Hope to join in on the fun and excitement! :)

Postby straydog » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:49 am

[quote="kittles"]
yaaaaaas for Ysabel! =D> =D> =D>[/quote]

Even her initials spell yas!! Hehe

I heard she's also involved with another charity which deals with literacy even before running for miss world Trinidad
straydog

Postby 2Rahtid » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:08 am

Miss world - Jamaica is Kadijah Robinson
2Rahtid

Date of Birth: 21 Dec 1981
Profession: Student
Western Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Chinese Zodiac: Tiger
Hobbies/Interests: Swimmming

Postby bettercomegood » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:19 am

Miss Jamaica is everything and more!
bettercomegood
NEWBIES are NEW members.
NEWBIES are NEW members.

Real Life Name/Nick: Buddy-Boy
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 1982
Sexual Orientation: Gay
Profession: Lover & Hater
Western Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Chinese Zodiac: Dragon
Hobbies/Interests: Life and Love

Postby Guestobserver » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:12 pm

She is just so pretty Miss Jamaica. That smile! Right combination of girlishness, and confidence. Miss Jamaica leads the field in the Caribbean and Solange Sinclair would have built up a lot of goodwill. Jamaica is everyone's idea of the Caribbean so other countries will struggle except maybe Bahamas and Puerto Rico for name recognition. Bahamas is nice as well but different. Puerto Rico is a strong contender if they are going for a girl with a different look (last year's hurricane night help them) and they did win in 2016. A lot of goodwill there. Miss Guyana has an outside chance and no one has rated her. Her social media is about mental health and it reads well. Good topic for our time.Guadeloupe,Aruba (bit short), Haiti, BVI are all something. Trinidad is rated highly by Trinidad but i can't see her breaking out internationally. Age and height issues and you can't see a consistent photo of what she actually looks like. Her BWP is vague. Guyana and Trinidad are effectively competing with Kenya as they are girls of that ethnicity in countries with other groups.

However, I suspect that if this is the year for an "African" girl then Africa has chosen some of the most stunning women in a long time -Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, South Africa. And China has loads of investments in Africa.
Guestobserver
NEWBIES are NEW members.
NEWBIES are NEW members.

Date of Birth: 16 Jul 1988
Profession: Vlogger
Hobbies/Interests: Pageants

Postby straydog » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:05 am

Guestobserver wrote:She is just so pretty Miss Jamaica. That smile! Right combination of girlishness, and confidence. Miss Jamaica leads the field in the Caribbean and Solange Sinclair would have built up a lot of goodwill. Jamaica is everyone's idea of the Caribbean so other countries will struggle except maybe Bahamas and Puerto Rico for name recognition. Bahamas is nice as well but different. Puerto Rico is a strong contender if they are going for a girl with a different look (last year's hurricane night help them) and they did win in 2016. A lot of goodwill there. Miss Guyana has an outside chance and no one has rated her. Her social media is about mental health and it reads well. Good topic for our time.Guadeloupe,Aruba (bit short), Haiti, BVI are all something. Trinidad is rated highly by Trinidad but i can't see her breaking out internationally. Age and height issues and you can't see a consistent photo of what she actually looks like. Her BWP is vague. Guyana and Trinidad are effectively competing with Kenya as they are girls of that ethnicity in countries with other groups.

However, I suspect that if this is the year for an "African" girl then Africa has chosen some of the most stunning women in a long time -Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, South Africa. And China has loads of investments in Africa.

Hey buddy, check out Ysabel's page to learn more about her BWAP and view the many, many, many gorgeous photos of her. She's been working non-stop with the Purple Pine Foundation. I've been following her on FB and IG and really it's amazing what she's done for the foundation in just a few weeks, and it's no wonder us Trini's are so excited about the pageant this year, Ysabel has won the hearts of our twin island republic.

Congrats and good luck to all the Caribbean delegates thus far :!!

#currychickenalwayswins (lol sorry I just had to #CPL)
straydog

Postby Guestobserver » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:43 am

We are missing Antigua and Barbuda, Cayman Islands and the Dominican Republic.
Really strong field from Europe this year -so a lot of competition to be an ethnic winner.
Here is who we have from the Miss World website ONLY (their pages may be different). Sometimes the info has been updated.

Aruba - age 24 height 168; Languages 4 plus one; postgrad degrees in health; lecturer/research assistant; BWP -diabetes in children (diabetic herself);
Bahamas- age 22 -height 163; English only; model, entrepreneur and brand ambassador;
Barbados -age 19 - height 178- English plus one; Medical student . No info on BWP ;
Bonaire: no info;
British Virgin Islands -age 21; height 168 Languages -2 plus one; draughtswoman; No info on BWP
Curacao -age 18 -no info;
Guadeloupe-age 22; height 178 -Languages 3; post grad student . No info on BWP;
Haiti -age 26; graduate; BWP imprisoned women; long term relief volunteer;
Jamaica age 23; height 165; English only; Physiotherapist; BWP health in the community ;
Puerto Rico age 25; height 172; languages 4;post grad; biologist and model; no info on BWP;
Trinidad& Tobago age 26 -height now says 170 (but entered local competition as 165 ); languages 4; postgrad; gov't ministry lawyer; BWP-reading skills in disadvantaged children.

Contestants' personal background an indicator mainly of social class and/or prosperity of the islands. So no surprise that on prosperity of islands Aruba, Barbados, Guadeloupe, Puerto Rico and Trinidad have more than one degree or in the case of Barbados is a medical student (more prestigious than other subjects and liked by Miss World). This makes Haiti, Jamaica, and the BVI part of the striving class. Girls who break out of their background to win. No secret that this is the darkest skinned Miss Jamaica in a while.

On objective criteria: overall the girls that some see as favourites in this group (only Aruba, Bahamas, and Jamaica are rated outside this group) kinda short by Miss World standards . Bahamas is 163; Jamaica and Trinidad same height (165); BVI and Aruba 168.
Tall girls are : Puerto Rico 172, Barbados 178 , Guadeloupe 178.

Age -no Miss World older than 24 and then only once. Haiti 26, Puerto Rico 25 and Trinidad 26 at a BIG disadvantage.

Subjective criteria: Personal wealth, social class, level of education have never been what it takes. A good education is and that means for Julia from a discreet, decent background. However, some of the franchise holders in the Caribbean don't all have money/sponsorship and this shows. Trinidad does. Some of the contestants from other islands when interviewed even mention how lack of sponsorship/money even held them back and yet they persisted. That is class.

Do not rule out Aruba, BVI, Barbados -she has a nice old fashioned look to her and is a MEDICAL STUDENT people -how many medics have won in the past and yes Barbados is everyone's favourite place to go on holiday including for China- and Guadeloupe as they tick all right boxes. Still think Jamaica ahead of field as she looks taller than she is.
Guestobserver
NEWBIES are NEW members.
NEWBIES are NEW members.

Postby missheart » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:03 pm

I must say, I love Miss T&T. My favourite from this region. MWO will love her. Jamaica is a big disappointment. I don't find Miss Jamaica beautiful at all!
Proudly SOUTH AFRICAN!
missheart

Real Life Name/Nick: therealguayl
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2008
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: model
Hobbies/Interests: Making the World a better place

Postby chellomellow » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:05 pm

Miss World Trinidad and Tobago 2018, Ysabel Bisnath is the most superior delegate to have ever entered international pageantry. She should not be compared to any other delegate. Honestly, she is too superior to compete in a beauty pageant. Ysabel is an Oxford graduated lawyer! LLB in Jurisprudence and masters in International Business Law- Trade & Investment and Human Rights Law. She is fluent in English, Spanish, French, Italian and is currently learning Mandarin. Miss Bisnath taught English in China and worked in Belgium too. This award public speaker is not only intelligent but is also a professional pianist. After returning to Trinidad and Tobago in March 2018, from studying and working abroad, Ysabel Bisnath was elected the head lawyer of the legal team for the Ministry of Education in her country, Trinidad and Tobago. Her parents, who are also both lawyers disapproved of Ysabel first entering the pageant as Law is viewed as a conservative field but then approved after she managed to convince them. Ysabel went to Oxford, the oldest and most prestigious university in the English speaking world at the age of 18 on an open government scholarship which she won for her excellent performance in her A' Level results. She topped the entire Caribbean in CAPE LAW. At the Miss T&T 2018 contest, she won also Miss Multimedia, Miss Photogenic, Spirit of the Pageant and People’s Choice.
The same organisers that were responsible for Gabrielle Walcott's Beauty with a Purpose victory in 2008 are now back to help Ysabel Bisnath win the most important award in Miss World of 2018. In fact, they are the directors of the MW T&T franchise. The current franchise holders are the wealthiest franchise holders in the western hemisphere.

#Flashback to Gabrielle Walcott's project that won the Beauty with a Purpose of 2008
[youtube]ENfmqMg4sI[/youtube]

Ysabel Bisnath will be heading 'The Purple Pine Foundation', it is geared towards filling a learning gap as a result of scarce inclusive, learner-centered emancipatory, transformative learning approaches and safe inclusive environments for gifted children, teenagers who are embracing their individual identities, children battling with different types of Cancers, children from socio-economically deprived communities and transformative facilitators.

The Vision
To collaborate with Public and Private Sectors and civic minded individual citizens in creating a safe, inclusive and just society where extraordinary children become extraordinary visionaries and leaders for a socially just, inclusive and equitable world.

Mission
Using technology, education and peacebuilding, to create culturally diverse learning spaces to enable extraordinary children to overcome extraordinary life challenges while working with parents, policy makers and communities to promote peaceful coexistence, social and gender justice and sustainable learning environments and communities and inclusive for all.

Ysabel Bisnath will be building a home/orphanage for these most vulnerable kids. Work are currently being ongoing...

You can check out her Instagram for videos/photos.
Via Instagram
Spent some time today at the site of our new Foundation! This is the yard. I would love to see a little playground set or swing here. (If you’d like to sponsor please get in touch) Check the mango tree in the background who remembers climbing mango trees in their school days? #missworld2018

Ysabel is my most favourite Miss T&T ever! I am so happy she is a frontrunner and is on everyone's list for Miss World 2018 :!!
─▀██▀▄███▄─ ▀██─██▀██▀▀▀█─
──██─███─███─██─██─██▄█──
──██─▀██▄██▀─▀█▄█▀─██▀█──
─▄██▄▄█▀▀▀─────▀──▄██▄▄▄█

[youtube]1rmr_z5bWgo[/youtube]

TEAM TYA JANE
chellomellow

Date of Birth: 16 Dec 2008
Profession: I am an Angel sent from heaven ❤
Hobbies/Interests: Dancing, Reading, Music, Drawing, Anime, Piano

Postby Miss_Runway » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:01 pm

MISS JAMAICA HITS THE GROUND

Miss_Runway

Date of Birth: 16 Nov 1984
Profession: Make up artist
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Hobbies/Interests: Cooking, swimming and photography

Postby the critic » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:19 pm

La República Dominicana 2018

the critic
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.

Date of Birth: 26 Jul 1985
Profession: Journalist
Hobbies/Interests: Beauty, fashion photography

Postby Guestobserver » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:27 pm

Predictably, Miss Jamaica won Miss World Caribbean and was in the top five.

In fast track, she was in the last 12 of BWAP and that was all it took. I think her looks and her personality propelled her forward. I don't know how anyone doubted this in the Caribbean area or beyond. She looks like a Barbie doll -pretty pretty -and her face has cross over appeal. Her drawback was her height but her excellent naturally tiny figure made up for it. Plus in term of styling sometimes one felt the national organisation lacked funds. But who cares, her outfits worked for her. Well done Cindy Breakspeare and Lisa Hanne for spotting a winner.

Next best performer was Barbados -Top Model 32 and 25 BWAP. Her inclusion did not surprise me -she was the only really tall girl from the Caribbean, a medical student and had an old fashioned open face. I don't think Caribbean folk rate her but I think sometimes in the Caribbean, you don't see beauty where others would. She could be on a catwalk with a bit more styling. She is focused and ambitious and I think she will get far in life. She wants to be Secretary-General of the UN.

Martinique seemed surprised when she was chosen for the last 30 but when you look at her more closely-she is more French chic than Miss Guadeloupe. She was very catwalk esque. She also has character -"my afro is my personality" .

Then came Guyana -Talent Final and 25 BWAP but not the Final 30. I think she was very close and could have got further with better styling as she is a very natural beauty and not afraid to keep her hair curly in a pageant of blow dried straight haired girls.

Trinidad made the BWAP 12 and the first round of the H2H. My impression was and remains that she looks better in still photos than in real life but a shame about the skin lightening, heavy make up and the height changes. Her outfits were lavish, there was so many but too floral and like resort wear for tourists.Her omission from the top 30 was not a real surprise.

Guadeloupe did quite well. Aruba should have done better. Same with Bahamas. Belize was in the dance, I think and was very young. Puerto Rico faded out even though she had a fantastic outfit for top model. T&T.Both of these were favourites. Cayman Islands, BVI, Curacao,

Finally, the contrast in the social and ethnic background in the girls from the Caribbean was enormous.It did seem as if some of the girls lacked sponsorship. The two girls from T& T and Guyana were not in the same class as the best these countries have produced recently Valene Maharaj (T&T), Rufeina Hussein (Guyana) or ages ago Shakira Caine (Guyana but a beauty like that is once in a lifetime). The girls from the other islands were all good choices with Jamaica being consistently excellent.
Guestobserver
NEWBIES are NEW members.
NEWBIES are NEW members.

Postby the critic » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:34 pm

Guestobserver wrote:Predictably, Miss Jamaica won Miss World Caribbean and was in the top five.

In fast track, she was in the last 12 of BWAP and that was all it took. I think her looks and her personality propelled her forward. I don't know how anyone doubted this in the Caribbean area or beyond. She looks like a Barbie doll -pretty pretty -and her face has cross over appeal. Her drawback was her height but her excellent naturally tiny figure made up for it. Plus in term of styling sometimes one felt the national organisation lacked funds. But who cares, her outfits worked for her. Well done Cindy Breakspeare and Lisa Hanne for spotting a winner.

Next best performer was Barbados -Top Model 32 and 25 BWAP. Her inclusion did not surprise me -she was the only really tall girl from the Caribbean, a medical student and had an old fashioned open face. I don't think Caribbean folk rate her but I think sometimes in the Caribbean, you don't see beauty where others would. She could be on a catwalk with a bit more styling. She is focused and ambitious and I think she will get far in life. She wants to be Secretary-General of the UN.

Martinique seemed surprised when she was chosen for the last 30 but when you look at her more closely-she is more French chic than Miss Guadeloupe. She was very catwalk esque. She also has character -"my afro is my personality" .

Then came Guyana -Talent Final and 25 BWAP but not the Final 30. I think she was very close and could have got further with better styling as she is a very natural beauty and not afraid to keep her hair curly in a pageant of blow dried straight haired girls.

Trinidad made the BWAP 12 and the first round of the H2H. My impression was and remains that she looks better in still photos than in real life but a shame about the skin lightening, heavy make up and the height changes. Her outfits were lavish, there was so many but too floral and like resort wear for tourists.Her omission from the top 30 was not a real surprise.

Guadeloupe did quite well. Aruba should have done better. Same with Bahamas. Belize was in the dance, I think and was very young. Puerto Rico faded out even though she had a fantastic outfit for top model. T&T.Both of these were favourites. Cayman Islands, BVI, Curacao,

Finally, the contrast in the social and ethnic background in the girls from the Caribbean was enormous.It did seem as if some of the girls lacked sponsorship. The two girls from T& T and Guyana were not in the same class as the best these countries have produced recently Valene Maharaj (T&T), Rufeina Hussein (Guyana) or ages ago Shakira Caine (Guyana but a beauty like that is once in a lifetime). The girls from the other islands were all good choices with Jamaica being consistently excellent.

ON THE FINAL NIGHT GUYANA WAS SEATED WITH THE AMERICAS AS SHE SHOULD BE. IN 2014 MW AWARDED IT TO GUYANA WHICH I DIDNT QUITE GET.
the critic

Date of Birth: 26 Jul 1985
Profession: Journalist
Hobbies/Interests: Beauty, fashion photography

Return to Miss World