Miss Earth Winner: Learning the ropes motherhood

Miss Earth Winner: Learning the ropes motherhood

Postby Nand » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:39 pm

Karla Henry: Learning the ropes motherhood

By Je C. Ycong (Philippine Star/ The Freeman)

CEBU, Philippines - A first-time mama, Cebuana beauty queen Karla Henry is still learning the ropes of motherhood like “a baby learning to walk,” wobbling here and there before sustaining balance.

Her fiancé Rico Ammann, a project manager of a logistics company who she is set to tie the knot with on January 28, 2018 in Boracay, is nothing short of supportive, and she can’t be any more thankful to be surrounded with loving support as she witnesses her daughter’s many firsts.

The 30-year-old gave birth to Stella Blu Henry-Ammann in February 2015. “My fiancé and I named her Stella because it was the only name after so many that we both liked, and Blu because back when we didn’t know the sex of the baby, we just called her Blueberry because when we found out I was pregnant, we were told she was the size of a Blueberry,” she explains.

Karla is the Filipino-Canadian stunner who began the Philippines’ powerhouse status in the Miss Earth pageant by bringing home the Miss Earth 2008 crown before Jamie Herell (a fellow Cebuana) and Angelia Ong did. She rose to public prominence after being hailed as the first Asian candidate to win the Miss Earth pageant.

Time and again, she has proven that a queen’s reign may end, but her responsibility as someone to emulate is for a lifetime.

How is life as a first-time mom so far?

Well, it’s been a fun ride because I’ve never had an experience that I can consider as basis, so I have to rely on my mothers-in-law and my dad to help me maneuver through it, but thanks that they have been so helpful. At first, you really need a lot of help. But in the long run, you’ll get the stride of it, you’ll know what to do. It’s a mother’s instinct that will kick in that will help you to think what’s the best for your child or what’s not. It’s a fun experience, but a very challenging one.

What lifestyle and career changes/adjustments have you had to make since becoming a mother?

When I was pregnant, I was already at the time of my life that I became more of a homebody. But Rico and I were very spontaneous, so we still went on roadtrips or did something random – which are obviously things that you can’t do anymore when you have a child. When we go out, we go to baby-friendly places, whether it’s a restaurant or anywhere that’s okay for the baby. Also, I have had to choose a lot for my projects: which ones to say yes or no to. Sometimes, it’s hard for the mom to leave the baby for a long period of time. I went back to work about a month and a half after Stella was born. Even then, I could not leave her so I keep her in touch with me. All of my events, I have to ask for a plus one for airfare because she had to be with me all the time. Not only that she was breastfed and she needed to latch on every now and then, but I also needed to see if she’s okay.

What have you discovered about yourself ever since you became responsible for another human being?

Before I was pregnant, I already knew I would be a working mom because I am always that kind of woman who can balance both. I could never give up my career. I do have out-of-town projects now where I can’t bring her. As much as I have those, I always make sure that when I get home, I always spend time with her. I’m a person who always loves to sleep, yet I survived six months of exclusive breastfeeding, of waking up at nights in between two to three hours of sleep. You really have to be patient because motherhood will test your limits. When you realize you’ll become a mom, you have to kiss goodbye to your carefree life. Every day, you will be worried about something that could happen. Your mind will go on overdrive and you get paranoid about little things. And now that this generation is picky about living a gluten-free, organic lifestyle, you want to achieve these because you want to give what’s best for your baby. But the best thing that you could ever discover about yourself is that you can love someone so much. I know that my fiancé and I are so obsessed with Stella that sometimes we just stare at her –kind of creepy. But it’s actually an amount of love for someone so little when she overpowered you the moment she said ‘Mama.’

Can you bring us back to the moment when you learned you were going to be a mom?

There’s no sugar-coating this. I totally freaked out. I didn’t think I was ready. I thought that I had to prepare a lot more physically, emotionally, psychologically and even financially to become a mom. But someone told me that you would never feel prepared to become a mom and all you just have to do is to embrace it. So I did. And the moment I heard that little heartbeat, there was no stopping me to give her everything that I could, and making sure that she’s happy and healthy all the time. And I was very fortunate that my fiancé is completely God-sent and just helps me through everything. It’s really important that you will find someone to be your comfort place and support system. Because pregnancy is not an easy feat. If you ask doctors, they will always tell you that one foot is already in the grave. For moms who go at it alone, they are the true definition of heroes.

Any realizations about being a daughter or about your own mother after experiencing motherhood yourself?

I think that one thing that most daughters and sons have to agree is that it’s very bitter when you have to admit to your parents that ‘Dad, Mom, you were right.’ When you actually have a baby yourself, a lot of things that you used to despise about your parents, you realize that they do it for the betterment of their child.

Who do you mainly turn to for guidance when it comes to taking care of a baby?

I was very lucky that from my side and from Rico’s side, we have families that have similar and yet different parenting styles. I do consult my dad and Rico’s mom a lot. I am also lucky that Rico’s side has quite a number of nurses, so I consult with them. The best way is, I turn to a lot of my fellow mom-friends. It’s always different when you talk to parents who raise their child in a different generation, so you need to get opinion from both sides. As much as you rely on the opinions of your mom, your aunt, your mothers-in-law, it’s always better to talk to moms who are raising their kids in the same generation as your own.

Will you encourage Stella to also become a beauty queen someday?

As a beauty queen myself, I take pageantry very seriously because I really do consider it as a very good platform for young women. If Stella wants to join someday, I will make sure that she will join at the right time. You can train everything – speaking, catwalk, putting on make-up – but you can’t train maturity. If she wants to get some practice along the way, there are great platforms like Binibining Cebu, so I would want her to join that to make her feel more confident. I am very much against child pageants, those Little Miss contests, because I don’t think that it’s the time to teach our kids that if they don’t win, they are less than the other candidate.

Being the daughter of a beauty queen who’s not only known for her looks but for also being able to speak her mind well, Stella will be met with high expectations with the bar that you've set. What will you advise her when she comes of age?

You’re growing up with a different generation, that means you are competing in a different generation. We don’t know what standard of beauty they are looking for at that time. So all you have to do is completely listen to your trainers, trust what they will say, and how they train you to become ready for the competition. As much as people try to compare you to what I’ve done in the past, you shouldn’t let them because you’re making your own path. Again, things might be completely different. So what’s relevant now is not going to be relevant again, maybe during her time. She needs to focus on doing her best.

What is your biggest fear as a mom?

I think my biggest fear is to be not a good enough mom to my child, not being able to provide her the right things, not being able to teach her the right values, morals, discipline and responsibilities.

Celebrities like yourself are pressured to lose the baby weight quickly than normal and maintain your beauty queen looks. How have you managed doing so?

I did feel the need to lose the baby weight quite quickly, but I did not do anything drastic. I only eat until I am contented, that is it. I did feel the need to start exercising after I had a baby, especially now that she is learning to walk. I am not at par with her energy level and it concerns me. That was when I started hitting the gym. I am more serious about being physically fit than I was before, all because for her.

Aside from motherhood, what keeps you busy these days?

I am a full-time event host still, whether corporate events or pageant coronations. I do a lot of casting in Manila as a commercial model too. I am also planning my wedding which will be in January. Mommy, career woman, bride – all rolled into one. I do have a show with DOH [Department of Health] as well called “The Doctor Is In.” We have a few more episodes to tape to finish up the season and hopefully, I’ll be back for the next season.

After last year’s controversy with the Miss Philippines Earth winner, after everything that was said and done, what would you like to say to the ladies aspiring to wear the crown?

You’re not just winning a crown or a title, but you’re also winning a job. They have to take into account that there is responsibility and obligation with that. Everytime you wear that sash, you are not only representing yourself, you are representing an organization, so you have to be aware of that.

Source: (Philippine Star/Freeman) http://www.philstar.com/cebu-entertainm ... motherhood

Last edited by Nand on Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nand
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.

Date of Birth: 21 Dec 1985
Hobbies/Interests: Swimming

Re: Miss Earth Winner: Learning the ropes motherhood

Postby Nand » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:39 pm

Nand

Re: Miss Earth Winner: Learning the ropes motherhood

Postby Nand » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:41 pm

Nand

Return to Miss Earth