Czech Republic's new name = CZECHIA

Czech Republic's new name = CZECHIA

Postby MISSUNIVERSEFANS » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:56 am

Politicians in the Czech Republic are trying to put decades of debate to an end by announcing a new name for the country: Czechia.

In a meeting with reporters this past week, Foreign Minister Lubomir Zaoralek said he supported the move, suggesting that foreigners often mangled his country’s name when he met them abroad. “It is not good if a country does not have clearly defined symbols or if it even does not clearly say what its name is,” Zaoralek said, according to the Czech News Agency.

Although Czechia has the backing of the president, prime minister and heads of parliament, it still has to win cabinet approval and be registered with the United Nations. Once that is all done, Czechia will officially become the conventional short-form name for the country, while the Czech Republic will remain the conventional long-form name.

[Finnish was the second language of Sweden for centuries. Now Arabic is overtaking it.]

The Central European state had been unusual among European countries for not designating a short-form name when it was formed after the breakup of Czechoslovakia in 1993. The other half of that former nation, for example, has the long-form name of the Slovak Republic, but it is more commonly known by its short-form name, Slovakia. Other states follow a similar formula: The Russian Federation is Russia, the Federal Republic of Germany is Germany, and so on.

Finding a short-form name for the Czech Republic had proved difficult, however. In the Czech Republic itself, the short name “Cesko” is used. That name is said to date to the 18th century, although it came to official use only in the 20th century. Even today, it isn’t fully accepted: According to the Economist, former Czech president Vaclav Havel once said that the word made his “flesh creep.” Some suggested that the name was a reminder of the country’s split from Slovakia, though others said it just sounds nasty: The word is “short and harsh sounding,” one Czech cartographer told Radio Prague in 2004.

Despite the controversy, Cesko forms the basis of many of the short names for the Czech Republic in foreign languages – Tschechien in German, for example, or Tchéquie in French. Meanwhile, the English-language short name has not stuck. Historically, the country had been referred to as Bohemia in English, which translates as “Cechy” in Czech. This name was commonly used up to the 20th century by English-language newspapers. However, it technically refers only to one region of the modern country, and not the two others, Moravia and Silesia.

In 1993, an official Czech body recommended the use of the name Czechia, a word with Latin roots that can be dated as far back as 1841 in the English language, but that word was never given the full support of authorities and it never caught on. Again, some criticized the sound of the word, while others suggested it, too, implied that Moravia and Silesia were left out. Some foreign authorities suggested that the Czechs’ reluctance to use the word “Cesko” had contributed to their own decisions not to use the word. Instead, Czech companies would sometimes use the word “Czechlands” or simply the adjective “Czech” when promoting themselves in English.

In recent years, a movement to finally confirm Czechia as the official short name has gathered pace. President Milos Zeman became a powerful ally of the new short name when he applauded its use during a 2013 state visit to Israel. “I use Czechia because it sounds nicer and it’s shorter than the cold Czech Republic,” Zeman told Shimon Peres, then the president of Israel.

The Civic Initiative Czechia, founded in 1997 to promote the use of the word, now has a Facebook page with tens of thousands of followers and runs an English-language website that answers questions about the use of the word. The campaign argues that the long, boring name of the Czech Republic has hampered the nation and that the “transparency and relative simplicity of a short country name will facilitate its international acceptance.”

The next step is to inform the United Nations geographical names database, which will add Czechia to its list of official short-form and long-form names of countries. Not everyone is pleased with developments, unfortunately: Karla Slechtova, the minister of regional development, tweeted Thursday that the change would mean wasted funds in rebranding and that the new name was too close to “Chechnya,” the semiautonomous Russian republic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/04/15/the-czech-republic-is-getting-a-new-name-czechia/

MISSUNIVERSEFANS
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.

Date of Birth: 19 Jan 1995
Sexual Orientation: -----------
Profession: Undisclosed
Hobbies/Interests: Undisclosed

Re: Czech Republic's new name = CZECHIA

Postby Rauma » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:46 pm

I'm not a fan of that political move. It could be used unofficially but why the official name change? Czech republic is so young country so why to mess up people's head? Meanwhile Dominican Republic is much longer name and it is not attempting to become Domincia or something like that.

I thing Czech polititions should focus on much more important things down there...
Earthquakes don't recognize borders. Diseases, famine, drought don't recognize borders. Why the f* should we?
Rauma

Real Life Name/Nick: Marie
Date of Birth: 24 Jul 1979
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: Accountant
Western Zodiac Sign: Leo
Chinese Zodiac: Goat
Hobbies/Interests: Music, fitness, dancing, arts, modelling

Postby MISSUNIVERSEFANS » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:10 pm

Rauma wrote:I'm not a fan of that political move. It could be used unofficially but why the official name change? Czech republic is so young country so why to mess up people's head? Meanwhile Dominican Republic is much longer name and it is not attempting to become Domincia or something like that.

I thing Czech polititions should focus on much more important things down there...

My logic would be Slovak Republic = Slovak-ia

Czech Republic = Czech-ia

Former Czechoslovakia
MISSUNIVERSEFANS

Postby Mariana Erwin » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:28 pm

Gosh, I wonder how people will adjust to their short name. In beauty pageants, though, I wish they use their current name...
No more bashers in 2022, please.

Also, watch Dani Walker's video to know more on how bashers can kill with their words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbYUDqSC1UM
Mariana Erwin
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.

Date of Birth: 05 Apr 1988
Profession: ***********
Western Zodiac Sign: Aries
Chinese Zodiac: Dragon
Hobbies/Interests: Pageantry
Message: Hello and welcome! Commenting on things in pageantry and critical of pageant issues.

Postby MISSUNIVERSEFANS » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:10 pm

Mariana Erwin wrote:Gosh, I wonder how people will adjust to their short name. In beauty pageants, though, I wish they use their current name...

I think in Miss Universe, it is still Czech Republic and Slovak Republic.

In Miss World, Czechia and Slovakia. (Possible)
MISSUNIVERSEFANS

Postby burotsoy » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:35 pm

Rauma wrote:Meanwhile Dominican Republic is much longer name and it is not attempting to become Domincia or something like that...

Dominica is another country which is also located in the Caribbean. If Dominican Republic will be renamed to "Dominica", there will be two "Dominica" countries and it might stir confusion
burotsoy
GRAPHIC DESIGNERS are creative minds & beautifiers of the forum.
GRAPHIC DESIGNERS are creative minds & beautifiers of the forum.

Date of Birth: 17 Jun 1995
Sexual Orientation: Gay
Profession: STUDENT
Western Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Chinese Zodiac: Pig
Hobbies/Interests: Pageantry, Traveling/Adventure/Mountain Hiking

Postby Youknowwho » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:13 pm

It's not new name, Czech Republic is and will stay Czech Republic.

Some of the politicians are just trying to make Czechia the official shorter equivalent of Czech Republic.

But many politicians are also against it, so until Czechia will be in the official list of UN (and that can be also never), Czechia is still unofficial name of Czech Republic.

Youknowwho
AMBASSADORS represent their country.
AMBASSADORS represent their country.

Real Life Name/Nick: Youknowwho
Date of Birth: 10 Nov 1987
Profession: dispatcher
Western Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Hobbies/Interests: music, reading, swimming, bicycle riding, tourism

Postby MISSUNIVERSEFANS » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:03 pm

Youknowwho wrote:It's not new name, Czech Republic is and will stay Czech Republic.

Some of the politicians are just trying to make Czechia the official shorter equivalent of Czech Republic.

But many politicians are also against it, so until Czechia will be in the official list of UN (and that can be also never), Czechia is still unofficial name of Czech Republic.

Thanks for clarifying. :=p
MISSUNIVERSEFANS

Postby cris09_cris » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:36 am

This issue has been an issue since then.
I remember reporting about this 2009 in our World Tourism Class hahaha
cris09_cris
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.

Real Life Name/Nick: cris
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2008
Profession: student
Western Zodiac Sign: Aries
Chinese Zodiac: Rooster
Hobbies/Interests: watching beauty pageants!

Return to Miss Universe