Duterte: Miss Universe in PH not his priority

Duterte: Miss Universe in PH not his priority

Postby NiKOLAiY_gerov » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:40 pm

MANILA, Philippines – What does President Rodrigo Duterte have to say about the plans to host the next Miss Universe in the country?

"Dili ko [mugasto] (I would not spend money on that)," the President said in a relaxed conversation among friends in Davao, which included some journalists, when the topic was raised.

He said that the government has to prioritize other things, including its drive for higher infrastructure spending.

The cost of mounting the next Miss Universe pageant is estimated at around $10 to $12 million, according to a TV Patrol report.

The Philippines is being eyed as the next host country for the pageant, with top officials from the Miss Universe Organization – including president Paula Shugart and Shawn McClain, vice president for Marketing and Business Development – involved in talks. (READ: PH eyed to host Miss Universe in 2017)

The Department of Tourism (DOT), which has been a key contributor to efforts in bringing the pageant to the country, said that the private sector is being eyed to shoulder the budget.

Previously, DOT Secretary Wanda Teo said in a statement that Duterte has "approved in principle" the proposal of her department to host the upcoming pageant.

The reigning Miss Universe, Pia Wurtbach, also recently made a visit to the country and discussed Miss Universe matters in a courtesy call with the President last July 18 in Malacañang Palace. Miss Universe officials Shugart, McClain, and Wurtzbach's manager, Esther Swan, were in attendance. (WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach meets with Duterte on Miss Universe plans)

"The President agreed that sponsoring the event would be a tourism marketing coup with the Philippines' Miss Universe Pia Wurtzbach at the helm," Teo said in a statement.

"Sponsoring Miss Universe is our focus right now, with the plan and sources of funding in tow. We are ready to seize the moment." – with reports from Editha Caduaya/Rappler.com

NiKOLAiY_gerov
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.

Real Life Name/Nick: Niko
Date of Birth: 24 Sep 1989
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Legal Researcher
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Chinese Zodiac: Pig
Hobbies/Interests: Net Surfing

Re: Duterte: Miss Universe in PH not his priority

Postby amigofernandojose » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:54 pm

He has the point, there are other things which are more important than hosting Miss Universe, he approved the idea but he will not prioritize it over other things (which are more important) that's why the tourism department has to look for private sponsors to help the budget in hosting. The proposal for hosting is approved but not yet confirmed and/or finalized, to make it a clear picture. [-O< [-O< [-O<
I will never be a basher but I'm always a firm defender.
amigofernandojose
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.

Date of Birth: 01 Feb 1980
Sexual Orientation: -----------
Profession: Educator
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Hobbies/Interests: sports, music, laws
Message: I will never be a basher but I'm always a firm defender.

Postby lutosfeet » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:12 pm

The only hope to make this possible if private sponsors agree to handle the entire hosting expenses.. Let's keep our fingers crossed as what Pia says
lutosfeet

Date of Birth: 04 Mar 1987
Sexual Orientation: Gay
Profession: Rocker
Western Zodiac Sign: Aries
Chinese Zodiac: Rat
Hobbies/Interests: pageant and writing

Postby Zinnia » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:34 pm

Because President Duterte wanted it to be on May... not on January, because it's almost August now, and that's 5 months away from August! you know, the preparations.. not easy. If you wanted to make everything completed within 5 months, it is going to be more expensive because the preparations would be very rushed... some countries who hosted Miss Universe prepared it atleast 1 year ahead.. our president doesn't want it to be a 5 months preparation. He agreed on May, but not on January. So it depends now to MUO if they would like it to be May or not.. if there's no country willinh to host, then it's going to be in USA again!

Miss Universe 2022 is like a rollercoaster ride.
FULL OF SURPRISES !!!

Zinnia
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.

Date of Birth: 02 Apr 1995
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: student
Hobbies/Interests: Pageants, Fashion, Music, Food

Postby noitsvin » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:36 pm

Zinnia wrote:Because President Duterte wanted it to be on May... not on January, because it's almost August now, and that's 5 months away from August! you know, the preparations.. not easy. If you wanted to make everything completed within 5 months, it is going to be more expensive because the preparations would be very rushed... some countries who hosted Miss Universe prepared it atleast 1 year ahead.. our president doesn't want it to be a 5 months preparation. He agreed on May, but not on January. So it depends now to MUO if they would like it to be May or not.. if there's no country willinh to host, then it's going to be in USA again!

Actually it's the DOT who wanted it in May... And like what I've mentioned in the other thread (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1127111#p6392802) sobrang daming issues pa na dapat i-consider... ANd unang-una na dito is the Budget.

Yes, they can tap Private sectors but the sole purpose of hosting this pageant is for Tourism which may be a disadvantage for Private companies except for Philippine Airlines.

5 months to January is still a long time, but for pageants as big as this, It would be a concern... I am still hoping though we can still host it...
noitsvin

Real Life Name/Nick: Cam Gigandet
Date of Birth: 13 May 1991
Sexual Orientation: Pansexual
Profession: Employee
Western Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Beauty pageants and sports

Postby sophocles » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:43 pm

I'm glad this is not Duterte's priority. Everyone keeps saying Miss Universe is a tourism marketing coup, but do we have data from 1974 and 1994, when Philippines hosted Miss Universe? Did we have a sudden influx of tourists after hosting the pageant? Do we have the infrastructure to accommodate more tourists? When I talk to people who visited Manila , their number 1 complaint is the traffic and, this might sound petty, but they were shocked that the rest rooms have no paper towels and toilet paper. That is not surprising; when I used the NAIA before (I don't remember the terminal), I found "tabo" next to the sink. In other words there are things big and small that we need to fix before inviting more tourists to the country.

So, as much as I am fond of Miss Universe, I know that it is entertainment. The government should focus on services and development.
Last edited by sophocles on Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
sophocles

Date of Birth: 17 Jul 1971
Profession: lawyer
Hobbies/Interests: reading

Postby Yuffie » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:11 am

sophocles wrote:
So, as much as I am fond of Miss Universe, I know that it is entertainment. The government should focus on services and development.

Quoted for truth. First things first!
Yuffie
GRAPHIC DESIGNERS are creative minds & beautifiers of the forum.
GRAPHIC DESIGNERS are creative minds & beautifiers of the forum.

Real Life Name/Nick: ユフィ
Date of Birth: 20 Apr 2044
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: Geek Goddess
Western Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Chinese Zodiac: Dog
Hobbies/Interests: video games, beauty pageants, women's volleyball
Message: Hone both your mind and character. Seek both knowledge and wisdom.

Return to Miss Universe